*syllabi with course descriptions available upon request
- Assistant professor, Composition, 2020-present
Courses taught include ENG095, ENG141, ENG142, ENG152, and ENG252
Kent State University
- Part-time instructor, Freshman and sophomore composition, 2017-2019
- Teaching fellow, Freshman and sophomore composition, 2013-2017
Courses taught include ENG11011 and ENG21011
Owens Community College
- Part-time instructor, Composition, 2011-2012
Courses taught include ENG111 and ENG112
University of Toledo
- Co-instructor, Composition ENGL1110, 2011-2012
- Teaching fellow, Undergraduate senior thesis course ENG189, 2010
- Teaching fellow, Writing skills workshop ENG020, 2009
- Teaching fellow, Creative writing ENG056, 2009
Kent State University Writing Commons
- Acting director, Summer 2016
- Assistant director, 2014-2016
University of Toledo Writing Center
- Assistant director, 2012-2013
ACADEMIC TUTORING EXPERIENCE
OhioLink eTutoring Services, Tiffin University Academic Support, 2023-present
Stark State College Writing Center, 2017-2019
Kent State University Writing Commons, 2013-2016
Owens Community College Writing Center, 2012-2013
University of Toledo Writing Center, 2010-2013
Mills College Academic Center of Excellence, 2010
Bluffton University Writing Center, 2005-2008
- Editorial staff for ID13, Kent State University, Kent OH, 2017-2018
- Editorial staff for Ritter and Associates, Maumee OH, 2013
- Editorial staff for the literary journal 580 Split, Mills College, Oakland CA, 2008
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Summer youth literacy teacher, Community Action Council of Portage County Ohio, 2018, 2019
- Summer camp administrator, City of Kent Ohio Parks and Recreation Department, 2017
*to the respective university, in an academic capacity, unless otherwise noted
- Faculty advisor, The Blaze, Online student newspaper, Tiffin University, 2023-present
- Committee member, University Outcomes Assessment, Tiffin University, 2022-present
- Committee member, "Move the Needle" Initiative: First-year Experience Module, Tiffin University, 2022-2023
- Faculty advisor, The Dragon's Den Student Club [Extra Curricular], Tiffin University, 2020-2021
- Judge, Tamplin Awards, Kent State University Writing Commons, 2019
- Judge, College Composition Essay Contest, Stark State College, 2018-2019
- Public Relations, Kent State University’s Association of Graduate English Students (AGES), 2015-2017
- Judge [Extra Curricular], Scholastic Alliance Art and Writing Contest, Northeast Ohio Region, 2015
Global Society of Online Literacy Educators, 2021-present
College English Association of Ohio, 2016-present
International Writing Centers Association, 2016-2021
National Council of Teachers of English, 2013-present
- Tutor of the Term Award, Stark State College Writing Center, 2019
- Outstanding Composition Instructor Award, Finalist, Kent State University, 2018, 2019
“What’s ‘Good for Business’ May Not Be Good for Writing Centers: Merging the Marketing Domain with the Education Domain in the 21st Century.” East Central Writing Centers Association Newsletter: Rhetoric in the New Millennium: pp 9-13 (2015).
“Critical Empathy and Scholarly Activism in the Trump Age: A Writing Center Approach." The Peer Review: Journal for Writing Center Practitioners (2017).
In review: "Reflection as Unstable Genre: A Pilot Study." College English. Editors reviewing May 2023 (#COLLENG-D-23-00035).
“Celebrating Sensemaking Cultures in the Writing Center: Scaffolding Transparent Communication Between Tutors and Directors.” With Jeanne Smith, Barbara George, and Yvonne Lee. In Sensemaking in Writing Programs and Writing Centers, edited by Rita Malenczyk, Utah State University Press (Jun 2023).
Barbra in Shadow (Poetry chapbook, 2011 [first ed]; 2017 [second ed])
In review: Water Damage (Poetry chapbook, 2023)
In review: Gentle Crisis (Poetry manuscript, 2023)
*in national literary journals, unless otherwise noted
Forthcoming: "Estate Matters" in Made of Rust and Glass anthology
"After Proverbs 9" in Anabaptist World [Magazine]
"A Miscalculation" in Religion: June 10, 2022 [Weekly e-series, Silent Spark Inc]
“Tired Subjects,” “After Ancient Stuff” in Guide to Kulchur Cleveland #4
“On Migration,” “Tiny Humiliations” in Chantarelle's Notebook
"Transport," in Trailhead Backcountry
“Regulations” in Red Fez
“We fail when we're literal...,” “Sunday at the Twilight Diner” in Toledo Free Press [Local arts paper]
“Teeth lock onto...” in The Guidebook
“The Urge to Stay” in Toasted Cheese Literary Journal
“Lake Merit” in Gloom Cupboard
“Oakland, 1906,” “The Tempest,” “Buzz, Kill” in Etcetera
“Following closely, sweet little birds...” in The Write Place at the Write Time
“Starved in public, I am...,” with Marjorie Jensen, in CONTINGENCY: Place [MFA showcase]
“Wm S. Tell,” “A Smothering,” “Lacan's Dilemma” in CONTINGENCY: Reading Between the Genres [MFA showcase]
“Elder” in The Cedarville Review
“March” in Inspiration Point [Online student magazine]
Untitled poems in conversation with Julia Kasdorf in The Shalith [Student journal]
Upcoming: Poetry at Hayner: A Mosaic of Voices, Troy OH; Featured poet, with TBA, Jun 2024.
- Works in Progress Open Mic, Organizer/Performer/Host, Tiffin OH; Feb 2023, Mar 2023, Apr 2023
- No Hate in Ohio Event, Performer, Akron OH; Dec 2016
- Artists Against Antisemitism Reading, Performer/Host, Akron OH; Mar 2015
- Reproductive Rights Advocates of Kent (RRAK) Inaugural Arts Event, Performer, Kent OH; Jan 2015
- Featured poet, with Kayla Williams, Poets and Troubadours, Old West End Festival, Toledo OH; Jun 2013
- A Thousand Poets for Change Benefit, Performer, Toledo OH; Jan 2013
- Featured poet, with Cherie Bullock Myslinsky, Black Kite Poetry Series, Toledo OH; Sept 2012
- Final Reading for Graduate MFA Writers, Mills College, Oakland CA; May 2010
- Whine and Cheese for Writers, Organizer/Performer/Host, Open Mic, Mills College, Oakland CA; Apr 2010
- Featured poet, CONTINGENCY: Place, Mills College, Oakland CA; Mar 2010
- Featured poet, CONTINGENCY: Reading Between the Genres, Mills College, Oakland CA; Dec 2009
- Featured poet, Works in Progress Reading Series, Mills College, Oakland CA; Oct 2009
- Performance at Red Hill Books, San Francisco CA; May 2009
"'Just Writing to Cope': Teaching Composition During a Pandemic." Individual presenter. College English Association of Ohio Conference, Lake Erie College, Apr 2022.
"Examining the Effect of the Hybrid Modality on Successful Peer Review." Online poster presentation, with Stacey Floyd and Stephanie Opfer. Global Society of Online Literacy Educators (GSOLE) Virtual Conference, Jan 2021.
“Response as a Place for Writerly Common Ground: Refining Our Practices to Weave Students into Academic Culture.” Workshop facilitator, with Brian Huot, Curt Greve, Eliot Knowles, William Morris, Melody Gustafson, and Jamie Rose. Conference on College Composition and Communication, Milwaukee WI, Mar 2020 (Note: This was an accepted workshop; conference canceled due to COVID19 pandemic).
“Purposeful Mission Statements in Ohio Community College Writing Centers: A Study.” Individual presenter. Ohio Association of Two-Year Colleges Conference, Marion Technical College, Oct 2019.
“Student Research Literacy in the Trump Age.” Individual presenter. The Great Lakes Writing and Rhetoric Conference, Rochester NY, Sept 2019.
“Rapport- and Skill-building in Community College Writing Centers.” Individual presenter. Two-Year College English Association Conference at the Conference on College Composition and Communication, Pittsburgh PA, Mar 2019.
“Critical Empathy and Scholarly Activism in the Trump Age: A Writing Center Approach.” Individual presenter. East Central Writing Centers Association, Ohio State University, Mar 2018.
“The Body as Post-Process: Representing Identity and Body in Online Communities.” Panelist, with Halle Neiderman, Sarah Lawrence, and Chelsea Swick-Higgins. Computers and Writing Conference, University of Findlay, Jun 2017.
“Triangulating Success: Helping ELL Students across the University.” Panelist, with Halle Neiderman, Katherine Robisch, and Barbara George. College English Association of Ohio Conference, Xavier University, Apr 2017.
“What's in a Name?: The Effect of Calling Our Students 'Writers' and Other Terms.” Workshop facilitator, with Megan Brenneman. International Writing Centers Association Conference, Denver CO, Oct 2016.
“Don’t Use ‘The D Word’: Changing the Conversation about ‘Good’ Tutoring.” Workshop facilitator, with Megan Brenneman and Jeanne Smith. East Central Writing Centers Association Conference, University of Mount Union, Mar 2016.
“Sustaining the Assessment and Feedback Circuit Through Qualitative Methods.” Panelist, with Megan Brenneman and Melody Gustafson. Council of Writing Program Administration Conference, Boise ID, Jul 2015.
“Responding to Student Writers: Productively Situating Responses to Students and Their Writing.” Panelist, with Pamela Takayoshi and Nicole Caswell. Conference on College Composition and Communication, Tampa FL, Mar 2015.
“Yes, It’s OK to Mix Those Genres: Arguing for Creative Writing in the Composition Writing Class.” Individual presenter and workshop facilitator. Ohio Council of Teachers of English Language Arts, Spring Language Arts Conference, Columbus OH, Feb 2015.
“The Connections Between Creative Writing and Composition Studies.” Individual presenter. College English Association of Ohio Conference, Youngstown State University, Apr 2014.
“The Benefits of Nonevaluative Peer Review Through the Use of Affect Theory and Feminist Pedagogy.” Research Network Forum, Conference on College Composition and Communication, Indianapolis IN, Mar 2014.
“What's 'Good for Business' May Not Be Good for Writing Centers.” Individual presenter. Northeast Ohio Writing Centers Association Conference, Kent State University, Feb 2014.
“Working Together, Learning Together: The Benefits of Peer-Editing Groups.” Individual presenter. That's a Good Question. Conference on Pedagogical Problems in the 21st-Century, Mills College, Dec 2009.
PhD, Rhetoric and Composition: Literacy, Rhetoric, and Social Practice (LRSP)
MFA, English and Writing
BA, English Studies
Kent State University
Dissertation: “Engaging Peer Response in First-Year Composition: Writers, Readers, and Rapport”
Dissertation Committee: Brian Huot, Pamela Takayoshi, Anthony Edgington, and William Kist
Thesis: "These Cells Are Passages: Poems in Conversation with William Blake"
Thesis Advisor: Stephen Ratcliffe